Postinor 2 which is popularly referred to as P2 Pills, is an emergency contraceptive used to prevent pregnancy when taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. It retails between gh70 and gh150 in most Ghanaian pharmacies. It’s always advisable to take the Postinor 2 pill as soon as soon as possible after unprotected intercourse to be more effective.
The first P2 pill should be taken no later than 72 hours after intercourse and the second tablet should be taken exactly 12 hours after the first tablet. If you vomit within 3 hours of taking Postinor 2, you need to take another Postinor 2 pill.
You will know Postinor 2 has worked when you have your next period and it seems like a normal period.
Cases where you should not take P2 pills
1. When you are vomiting or having a severe diarrhea
2. When you have a disease of your gastrointestinal tract that interferes with the digestion and absorption of your food.
In such cases, please consult a doctor and he may recommend a higher suitable dose.
3. When you have previously had unprotected intercourse more than 72 hours earlier in the same menstrual cycle; you may already be pregnant.
4. When you are experiencing vaginal bleeding
5. When you have breast cancer
6. When you have diabetes: women with diabetes should monitor their blood glucose carefully after taking Postinor 2 pills.
7. When you have Liver problems
NB: Always tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines because some of them may interfere with the effectiveness of the P2. Below are some of the medicines that may interfere with Postinor 2.
- A treatment for HIV infection
- Medicine used to treat fungal infections
- Tuberculosis medicines
- Medicines used to treat epilepsy
Side Effects of Postinor 2
Below are the common side effects of Postinor 2 pills
- Nausea and vomiting
- stomach pain
- tender breasts
- increased vaginal bleeding
- skin reactions eg itching and skin rash.
It’s good to note that the p2 pills will not prevent you from contracting sexually transmitted diseases.